Applications for the 2020 Astral National Auditions have closed. Please check back in December 2020 for guidelines for application for the 2021 Astral National Auditions.
2020 ELIGIBILITY & GUIDELINES
- 2020 Applicants need not be citizens of the United States. However, applicants must reside in, and be legally eligible to perform and be compensated in the contiguous United States (the 48 states that do not include Hawaii and Alaska, and territories of the United States).
- Applicants must be available to perform on the 2020 National Auditions Winners Concert in Philadelphia as well new artist orientation and topical workshops from October 14-16, 2020 .
- Applicants may be under professional management.
- Astral does not accept application for solo percussion; duos that include piano; and ensembles that include percussion.
- Ensembles must demonstrate that they have been a pre-formed group for at least 2 years.
- Prizes are not awarded at the auditions; winners are invited to join Astral’s artist roster.
- There is no limit to the number of artists to be invited onto Astral’s roster.
- The panel has the right to recommend no artists, and all decisions are final.
Astral encourages applications for participation in its artistic programs from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
February 26, 2020
Early online application deadline (11:59pm EST); $75
March 4, 2020
Final online application deadline (11:59pm EST); $100
April 13, 2020
Notification of advancement to Round 2 (live auditions)
May 26, 2020
Live Voice Auditions
May 27, 2020
Live Piano Auditions
May 28, 2020
Live Solo Woodwinds, Solo Brass & Small Wind Chamber Ensemble Auditions
May 29, 2020
Live Solo Strings & Small String Chamber Ensembles
*Candidates who advance to the final round must be available for an in-person interview which will be conducted at the end of each audition day.
October 14-16, 2020
National Auditions Winners Concert (in Philadelphia)
New artist orientation (in Philadelphia)
New artist workshops (in Philadelphia)
The Astral National Auditions are a 3-round process: 1) online application & screening; 2) live audition; and 3) in-person interview.
ROUND 1 – ONLINE APPLICATION:
- Early online application with non-refundable fee of $75 due by the deadline of February 29, 2020 (11:59 EST).
- Final online application with non-refundable fee of $100 due by the deadline of March 4, 2020 (11:59 EST). Late applications will not be accepted. Please read Audio and Video File Repertoire Requirements before applying.
- Applications and audio files are screened anonymously and scored by an independent panel.
- Feedback cannot be provided from the application round.
- Applicants advanced to the Round 2 live auditions in Philadelphia will be posted on Astral’s website by April 13, 2020.
ROUND 2 – LIVE AUDITION:
- All auditions are held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania from May 26 to May 29.
- Each audition duration is 15 minutes.
- Please see Repertoire Guidelines for live audition requirements.
- The independent jury is comprised of esteemed musicians, agents, and leaders in the classical music field. The 2020 Round 2 panelists will be announced in the spring of 2020.
- Auditions and interviews for each discipline take place on one day only; interviews are conducted at the end of each audition day.
*NEW* Accompanying Pianist:
Astral does not provide an accompanying pianist for the live auditions but will provide a list of recommended pianists to applicants who reach the live audition round.
ROUND 3 – IN-PERSON INTERVIEW
- Applicable if recommended by the Round 2 panel, following the live audition.
- Finalists will be invited back at the end of their live audition day for an in-person interview with Astral’s Career Development team.
- The in-person interview helps us get to know the finalists off the concert stage and determine their suitability for Astral’s program. The interview will be the deciding factor in new roster artist selection.
Questions? Contact email@example.com or 215.735.6999