Applications for the 2022 Astral National Auditions are now open.
New as of 2022, Astral’s National Auditions will operate on a two-year rotation. In 2022 auditions will be held for brass, woodwind, voice, percussion, and small chamber ensembles (must include at least one of the aforementioned instrument groups). Astral will hold auditions for piano, strings, and small chamber ensembles (must include at least one pianist or string player) next season in 2023.
Classical musicians specializing in period, non-traditional, and folk instruments are always welcome to apply; please email us with any questions regarding this.
This season Astral is not accepting applications for solo piano, solo strings, or chamber ensembles made up of only piano and/or strings.
- 2022 Applicants need not be citizens of the United States. However, applicants must reside in, and be legally eligible to perform and be compensated in the contiguous United States (the 48 states that do not include Hawaii and Alaska, and territories of the United States).
- Applicants who advance to Round 2 must be available to travel to Philadelphia, PA during the scheduled dates in May 2022 to audition in person and be eligible for acceptance to and participation in Round 3 – Interview.
- Applicants must be available to attend orientation and perform in a Winners Concert event in Philadelphia in early Fall 2022.
- Applicants may be under professional management.
- Chamber ensembles must demonstrate that they have been a pre-formed group for at least 2 years. Ensembles may have a maximum of five players.
- Applicants may apply as soloists in addition to applying as a member of a chamber ensemble.
- Prizes are not awarded at the auditions; instead winners are invited to join Astral’s artist roster.
- There is no limit to the number of artists to be invited onto Astral’s roster.
- The panel has the right to recommend no artists, and all decisions are final.
MARCH 18, 2022
Online application deadline (5:00pm EST); NO FEE
APRIL 22, 2022
Notification of advancement to Round 2
MAY 24 – MAY 27, 2022
Live In-Person Auditions and Interviews in Philadelphia, PA
JUNE 13, 2022
2022 National Auditions Winners Announced
EARLY FALL, 2022
National Auditions Winners Concert (in Philadelphia)
New Artist Welcome Week (in Philadelphia)
The Astral National Auditions are a 3-round process: 1) online application, audio recordings, and video statement; 2) live in-person performance; and 3) live in-person interview.
Round 1 – Online Application, Recordings, and Video Statement
- Online application and accompanying recordings and video statement due by the deadline of March 18, 2022 (5:00PM EST). Please read Audio and Video File Repertoire Requirements before applying.
- Due to the challenges that performers are facing in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as in an effort to make the application process accessible to all aspiring candidates, there is no application fee to apply this season.
- Applications and audio files are screened anonymously and scored by an independent panel.
- Feedback cannot be provided from Round 1.
- Applicants advanced to the Round 2 will be notified by April 22, 2022.
- Applicants will be adjudicated on the basis of their musicianship, creativity in programming, and personal presentation.
- Please note, for all musicians who are advanced to Round 2: Astral requires proof of vaccination for all auditionees participating in the live in-person auditions, as well as panelists, and staff. These guidelines are subject to change and will be based on the latest health and safety requirements and recommendations in the City of Philadelphia.
Round 2 – Live In-Person Performance
- Astral requires proof of vaccination for all musicians participating in the live in-person auditions, as well as panelists, and staff.
- Your program may not exceed 20 minutes in duration.
- All applicants who advance to Round 2 will be offered optional access to an accompanist or may bring their own if they so choose.
- Please see Repertoire Guidelines for live audition requirements and recommendations. This is an opportunity to showcase more than just performance skills; it is also a window into getting to know each applicant via their own curated program. Astral Panelists will expect to hear your remarks from the stage as part of your performance.
- The independent jury is comprised of esteemed musicians, agents, and leaders in the classical music field. The 2022 Round 2 panelists will be announced in the spring of 2022.
Round 3 – Live In-Person Interview with Astral Career Development Team
- Applicable if recommended by the Round 2 panel, following the live in-person audition.
- The in-person interview helps us get to know the finalists off the concert stage and determine their suitability for Astral’s program. There is no performance component to this interview. The interview will complete the audition cycle and be an important factor in new roster artist selection.
- Please note that applicants will not be penalized if English is not their first language, or if there are other speech issues. Please reach out to Astral directly to discuss any accommodations that may need to be provided. Astral is committed to accessibility for all of its Applicants.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 215.735.6999