Manager of Artistic ProductionAstral | Monday May 17, 2021
Astral Artists seeks to fill a key full-time position that provides essential support, execution and direction to all activities of the organization. Astral is a small and agile organization that values the voices of all members. This position will be responsible for executing most elements of Astral’s performances (primarily located in the Philadelphia region), as well as managing our National Audition process and supporting Astral’s musicians. The ideal candidate should have some familiarity and comfort with the performing arts, specifically classical music, in order to manage concert operations, logistics and planning.
Additionally, Astral seeks candidates who possess a strong sense of collaboration and collective problem-solving, refined systems of organization, compassion and an understanding that music must be shared and experienced by all, in a wide variety of ways. Astral will begin a strategic planning initiative in the summer of 2021, and the ideal candidate will be an important contributor to this process.
This position reports to the Executive Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Concert Series Management
Serve as Astral liaison to all performance venues, musicians and onsite staff.
• Venues – Collaborate with others to reserve concert and rehearsal dates with venues, manage contracts; coordinate all needs for each performance including thorough communication regarding production needs and run-of-show.
• Personnel – Coordinate support for Artists including but not limited to page turners, AV support, hospitality, piano delivery and tuning, equipment, acquisition of music (if needed).
• Stage Management – Serve as on-site liaison for each performance to oversee backstage operations are executed with efficiency and professionalism; Record concert timings and logistics.
• Licensing – Serve as contact to ASCAP, BMI and other licensing agencies for tracking and reporting Astral performance activity.
• Digital Collection – Work with AV engineers to maintain Astral’s archival digital video and audio collection.
• Financial – Play a key role in the accounts payable and budgeting processes relative to all performances.
• Retirement Communities – Oversee all aspects of the Community Classics program including, but not limited to key liaison with continued care retirement communities, scheduling Artists in collaboration with others, and coordinating all Artist needs.
Manage and administer all aspects of annual Astral’s national auditions process, including:
• Promotions – Aid development of advertising plan to better attract a wider pool of BIMPOC applicants.
• Planning – Collaborate with others to create audition schedule and reserve venue; Serve as key liaison for applicant needs throughout the entire audition process; Manage team of volunteer duties and expectations to complement staff support during on-site auditions; Coordinate all stage needs such as piano tuning, page turner, as well as backstage needs including schedules, hospitality, etc. Play a key role in the accounts payable and budgeting processes.
• Application Process – Ensure online application process and guidelines are clear, operable and efficient; Prioritize communication with all candidates.
• On-Site Auditions – Manage a wide variety of needs from Panelists, Applicants, Accompanists, Staff and Volunteers to ensure efficiency, timeliness and professionalism; Collaborate with others to create and communicate Panelist guidelines, evaluation process, etc. Serve alongside other Astral staff as a Panelist for Final Auditions.
Artist Career Development
Serve as key liaison to all Artists to ensure a comprehensive and thorough plan is identified and fulfilled for each Artist, while at Astral.
• Collaborate with others to schedule and manage individual meetings with Artists and Astral’s team.
• Disseminate and distribute notes from each Artist’s career development meetings.
• Schedule Artists photo shoots, including booking venue and managing on-site needs.
• Maintain up-to-date Artists’ press portfolios including bios, photos; Provide advisory support for personal websites and media, if needed.
• Collaborate with others to track and evaluate Artist activities for effectiveness and match Artists with professional resources, as necessary.
• Collaborate with others to develop each Artist’s career map and evaluation matrices.
Skills and Experience:
Ability to balance multiple projects at once while keeping others apprised of progress.
Open and collaborative approach to creating, designing, implementing ideas, tactics and programs.
Eloquent and excellent writing and proof-reading skills.
Familiarity with the performing arts.
Established sense of personal organization.
Comfort with online tools such as Microsoft Office, G-Suite, Dropbox and project management software.
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary range of $40,000 to $42,000 – highly competitive benefits package provided, including a generous vacation and summer workday schedule. This is a full-time, exempt position with the option of periodic remote work.
Deadline to apply:
Interested candidates please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, no later than Friday, June 11, 2021.