2019 ELIGIBILITY & GUIDELINES
- 2019 National Auditions exclude percussion; duos that include piano; and ensembles that include percussion.
- Applicants need not be citizens of the United States. However, applicants must reside in, and be legally eligible to perform and be compensated in the contiguous United States (the 48 states that do not include Hawaii and Alaska, and territories of the United States).
- Applicants must be available to perform on the 2019 National Auditions Winners Concert in Philadelphia on October 16, 2019 and remain in Philadelphia for new artist orientation and topical workshops on October 17 and 18.
- Applicants may be under professional management.
- Ensembles must demonstrate that they have been a pre-formed group for at least 2 years.
- Prizes are not awarded at the auditions; winners are invited to join Astral’s artist roster.
- There is no limit to the number of artists to be invited onto Astral’s roster.
- The panel has the right to recommend no artists, and all decisions are final.
- Applicants in each round compete with all disciplines for acceptance onto Astral’s roster. The panel may select no applicants in a given category to advance to each subsequent round.
- Astral encourages applications for participation in its artistic programs from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
March 6, 2019
Round 1: Online application deadline (11:59pm EST)
April 15, 2019
Notification of advancement to Round 2 (live auditions)
May 28, 2019
Live Voice Auditions
May 29, 2019
Live Piano Auditions
May 30, 2019
Live Solo Woodwinds, Solo Brass & Small Wind Chamber Ensemble Auditions
May 31, 2019
Live Solo Strings & Small String Chamber Ensembles
*In-person interviews will be conducted at the end of each audition day, for those candidates advanced to the final, interview round.
October 16, 2019
National Auditions Winners Concert (in Philadelphia)
October 17, 2019
New artist orientation (in Philadelphia)
October 18, 2019
New artist workshops (in Philadelphia)
The Astral National Auditions are a 3-round process: 1) online application & screening; 2) live audition; and 3) in-person interview.
ROUND 1 – ONLINE APPLICATION:
- Online application with non-refundable fee of $75 due by the deadline of March 6, 2019 (11:59 EST). Late applications will not be accepted. Please read Audio and Video File Repertoire Requirements before applying.
- Applications and audio files are screened anonymously and scored by an independent panel; the screening panel will not know to whom they are listening.
- Feedback cannot be provided from the application round.
- Applicants advanced to the Round 2 live auditions in Philadelphia will be posted on Astral’s website by April 15, 2019.
ROUND 2 – LIVE AUDITION:
- All auditions are held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania from May 28 to May 31.
- The independent jury is comprised of esteemed musicians, agents, and leaders in the classical music field. The 2019 Round 2 panelists will be announced in the spring of 2019.
- Auditions and interviews for each discipline take place on one day only; with interviews at the end of each audition day.
- Each audition duration is 15 minutes.
- Please see Repertoire Guidelines for live audition requirements.
You are welcome to bring your own accompanying pianist with you to the live auditions, or you may use the Astral-provided pianist for $35, payable to Astral. Rehearsal with the Astral-provided pianist may be possible, but at your own arrangement and expense.
ROUND 3 – IN-PERSON INTERVIEW:
- The in-person interview helps us get to know the finalists off the concert stage and determine their suitability for Astral’s program.
- Applicable if recommended by the Round 2 panel, following the live audition.
- Finalists will be invited back at the end of their audition day for an in-person interview with Astral’s Career Development team.
- The interview will be the deciding factor in new roster artist selection.
Questions? Contact email@example.com or 215.735.6770